Winery Finalist in The East Coast Ballance Farm Environment Awards

From: "MediaNews" <info@PROTECTED>
Subject: Winery Finalist in The East Coast Ballance Farm Environment Awards
Date: February 1st 2017

Two in East Coast Ballance Farm Environment Awards

Hi

We are excited to be one of the regional finalists in the East Coast Ballance Farm Environment Awards, which was announced today. I have attached some of the article below - if you are interested in following up with us on our winery business in Gisborne, please contact us direct below. The competition has been running since 2011 and its the first time an organic farm has been a finalist plus a winery from Gisborne.

Gisborne Herald Story Below -

Gisborne winery, and a sheep and beef farm named among five finalists. Gisborne winery, and a sheep and beef farm named among five finalists. ENVIRO FINALISTS: Wrights Vineyard and Winery operated by Nicole and Geoff Wright have been named finalists in the 2017 East Coast Ballance Farm Environment Awards.

Wrights Vineyard family

They have been joined by Eugene and Pania King from Kiriroa Station at Matawai. The other three finalists are Hawke's Bay farms. A GISBORNE winery, and a sheep and beef farm have been named among five finalists for the 2017 East Coast Ballance Farm Environment Awards. The awards will be presented in Gisborne at the Bushmere Arms on March 1, where the regional supreme winner will be announced. Wrights Vineyard and Winery, operated by Geoff and Nicola Wright. The Wrights run three organic vineyards totalling 18ha, and their associated winery business at Manutuke and Ormond. The other three finalists come from Hawkes Bay: McNeill Farms, a 910ha sheep, beef and forestry partnership at Rissington; Maraetara Station, a 1485ha sheep, beef, goat and forestry farm at Bay View; and Newstead Farm, a 935ha beef finishing operation at Puketapu.

The East Coast Ballance Farm Environment Awards region covers the geographic areas of the Hawkes Bay Regional Council and Gisborne District Council. Regional winners go forward to the nationwide Ballance Farm Environment Awards run by the New Zealand Farm Environment Trust. It is important our finalists are able to talk about their journey through the judging process and invite their friends, family and supporters to the event. We are proud of the work all of our entrants have been doing on their properties he said. The various categories include awards for soil management, integrated management, livestock, innovation, farm stewardship and farming for the future. Recognising and celebrating good farm practices The awards recognise and celebrate good farm practices promoting sustainable land management. Positive role models and opportunities for learning are the most effective tools to improving farm practices

Wrights Vineyard and Winery operates on three sites: the winery and a coastal vineyard on the Wharerata Road (SH2) at Manutuke, and valley and terrace vineyards in Ormond Valley Road. The three vineyards are certified organic and biodynamics is practised on the vineyards, Mr Wyn-Harris said. The main varieties are chardonnay, pinot gris, pinot noir, sauvignon blanc and gewurztraminer. Wine sold under the labels Wrights Wines and the Natural Wine Co. sell around NZ and are exported to China and the Pacific Islands. We are living the dream of being sustainable, self-employed and self-sufficient, Nicola Wright said. We live and breathe organic principles, so biodiversity is second nature to us. Originally a chartered accountant, Geoff is chief grape grower and winemaker. We are pretty rapt to be finalists in this prestigious competition,Geoff Wright said. Seeing the finalists I do feel like its a bit like David and Goliath. Its a stringent judging competition and we are honoured to be selected as one of the finalists. His wife, a lawyer, is in charge of marketing and distribution. She also has her own legal practice. The couple have five young boys, Noah, Elijah, Luke, Guy and baby Otto.

News Flash from Wrights Vineyard and Winery, Gisborne, New Zealand

Privacy Policy:

Information used for Media News